Thursday, October 7, 2010

A hooligan in the making and a lesson in the digestive system

Yesterday I got a call from school around 3:30 pm.  A call from school is never a good thing in the middle of the day, especially when two kids went home with a fever the previous day .  I nervously picked up the phone.. The conversation went as follows:

Teacher: Hi Ms. J.  V had a little accident.

Me: Oh no. What happened?

Teacher: She's okay, she's okay.  She was trying to get to a toy and pushed Fred* out the way to get to it. He tried to balance himself and his head slammed into her teeth. 

Me: Oh my gosh!  Is HE okay?  (My first thought was next I'm going to get a phone call from his mother ripping me a new one that my daughter was bullying her son)

Teacher:  Yes, yes.  He's okay.  She got the worst of it.  Her lip is swollen, but no blood.  So, everyone's okay. We just wanted to call and inform you.

Me: Did you put her in time out?

Teacher:  We don't put them in time out for hitting or pushing.  Only for biting.

(Me thinking): Um.. okay.  Makes perfect sense..
Me: Did you at least tell her no?

Teacher: Yes.  We told her hitting hurts.

Me;  Yes - please definitely tell her no if she does that again.  She knows she's not supposed to hit or push.

Teacher:  Yes, we will.  Have a good day

When I picked V up from school, I made her give Fred* a kiss.  He is now smitten and all is forgiven. 

*Names have been changed to protect the inncocents' identity

But on a serious note.. Um.. what?  My child is a bully! Oh no!  I frantically did some research and found that at this age this is actually normal developmental behaviour, but no child of mine will be mean to others! So, we came home and had a talk about not pushing or hitting and giving kisses and hugs instead.  I think V understood.  She planted a wet one on her reflection in the mirror later that evening. 

In other news...

As a first time mom, you experience a variety of things that you otherwise would have never had the joy to experience.  One of the more intriguing, yet gross, things you learn, is that food, if not chewed property (who am I kidding - swallowed whole) will make its way all through the digestive tract unscathed.  WARNING: If you have an aversion to poop, read no more. 

While changing V's diaper last night, which by the way smells like a spill at a nuclear plant, I got a front row seat to yesterdays (I'm assuming) lunch.  Whole corn kernels, still nice and yellow, and quite plump I might add, and chunks of pineapple, also nice and yellow and plump.  Who knew that corn and pineapple, when swallowed whole and in a hurry, will come out looking brand spanking new on the other side.  Although I consistently feel like my brain has shrunk and most of the useful information I once possessed is gone since I've had her, now that I am equipped with this knowledge of the digestive system, I will go far!

No comments:

Post a Comment